International World Water Day is held each year on March 22nd in order to focus attention on the significance of fresh water and in favor of the sustainable handling of fresh water resources. Every year, World Water Day emphasizes a particular facet of fresh water. But, this crisis is about more than the water.
Why is water a key to food security?
Food security is present when everyone, everywhere has both the physical and economic ability to access sufficient, safe and nutritious food – meeting their dietary needs for a healthy life. Those who have better means to access water tend to have lower levels of undernourishment. A defieicency of water generally is a key reason for famine and undernourishment, specifically in locations where people rely on local agriculture for food and income. Floods and droughts could potentially cause many of the most serious food crisis situations.
Every 20 seconds, a child dies due to the terrible sanitation conditions suffered by some 2.6 billion people worldwide. That adds up to an overwhelming 1.5 million little lives cut short because of poor water conditions.
How can you help?
1. Through organizations including the Children’s Safe Drinking Water (CSDW) Program that provide a week’s worth of clean water to children in the developing world when you purchase a PUR water filter. Not to mention, you can also visit the PUR Facebook page and donate clean water for free through the Daily Drop program every day!
What do you need to know about your family’s’ water?
1. Your tap water may look clean, but it may still contain potentially harmful contaminants. Depending on where you live, your water can be contaminated with everything from industrial and agricultural pollutants to heavy metals, sediments and even trace levels of pharmaceuticals.
2. By using at home water filters, such as the PUR One-Click Faucet Mount, you can remove 99% of lead and microbial cysts.
PUR Water wants to help with your water efforts by awarding a Consumer Conversation reader with a great way to ensure your family is drinking the cleanest water possible.
The Prize: (1) Reader will win a free One-Click Faucet Mount Filter System.
Retail Value: $40
- Ends April 5, 2012 @ 11:59 pm EST
- Open to US residents, 18 years of age and older
The success of World Water Day depends on you. Please, tell your friends and colleagues about these banners and buttons to help us spread the word about the World Water Day website.