Disneynature’s new feature film “Chimpanzee” opens nationwide on April 20th. Before you head to the theater to watch Oscar and his family adventures, you can share the world of chimpanzees with your children and students with these fun facts and educational, printable activities.
ABOUT THE MOVIE
Disneynature takes moviegoers deep into the forests of Africa with “Chimpanzee,” a new True Life Adventure introducing an adorable young chimpanzee named Oscar and his entertaining approach to life in a remarkable story of family bonds and individual triumph. Oscar’s playful curiosity and zest for discovery showcase the intelligence and ingenuity of some of the most extraordinary personalities in the animal kingdom. Working together, Oscar’s chimpanzee family—including his mom, Isha, and the group’s savvy leader, Freddy — navigates the complex territory of the forest.
FUN FACTS about Disneynature’s CHIMPANZEE
- More than 700 days of filming was required to make “Chimpanzee.”
- Before going near the chimpanzees, the crew had to spend eight days in quarantine (five days in the forest camp, three in the capital Abidjan), to ensure they did not bring diseases into the forest that could be transmitted to the chimpanzees. This is why filmmakers wore masks.
- The crew had to stay at least 23 feet away from the chimpanzees. If a chimpanzee looked at them, it meant they were too close.
- The team needed 550 pounds of food, which had to last for three months in the forest.
- On a trip to a viewpoint to film forest scenics, team members were attacked by swarms of bees, each sustaining some 50 bee stings. That night, the tree next to their tents was struck by lightning, which then traveled underground and electrocuted the team (they were OK).
Along with the full set of FUN FACTS the printable kit also contains he CHIMPANZEE Family Activity Book which has really fun games, mazes and coloring sheets that also help teach kids about these amazing animals!
You’ll also get the CHIMPANZEE Educator’s Guide - the perfect movie companion for teachers and parents with home school children! Learn about the world of chimpanzees, their social interaction skills and natural behavior.