Yes, I admit it. I’m part of the Hunger Games fan base. My 14 year old son was given the first book by his English teacher and, after hearing him talking constantly about it, I decided to be the next in line to read it. I was instantly in love with the characters and I felt like I was part of the story. This was especially true when the subject was food. I found that Panem dishes and beverages were one of the more explained details of the book and they sounded divine.
When I ordered The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook I was so excited to finally be able to try my own adaptations and share them with you.
Brown Sugar Shortbread with Cinnamon Drizzle
In chapter 3 of The Hunger Games Peeta’s father, Mr. Mellark, gives Katniss delicate shortbread cookies to take with her on the train. This awesome and simple shortbread bar recipe is offered as a more sturdy choice; better fit for rough travel across Panem.
Of course, as soon as I decided to make a batch today, pulled out my ingredients and got to work…. my toddler demanded my attention. Luckily, this recipe is so easy that, in spite of frequent stops to play the tickle game, they turned out perfectly.
|Brown Sugar Shortbread with Cinnamon Drizzle||
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, soft
- 2 c light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Drizzle
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp half-and-half
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease or spray a 9×13 pan
- Cream butter and brown sugar together with a mixer for 3 – 5 minutes
- Add eggs and continue to blend until smooth
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt – then sift well
- Add flour mixture gradually to batter while mixing
- Add vanilla and mix for 3 – 5 minutes longer
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly
- Bake for 30 min – until golden brown and the sides pull away from the pan
- Set aside to cool
- Combine powdered sugar, half-and-half and cinnamon in a bowl – mix well
- After shortbread has cooled – cut into bars (or squares)
- Drizzle with cinnamon sugar icing and serve