If your desk is anything like mine then it’s full of paper. Sticky notes, doodles, concepts, plans, lists, reminders…and it goes on and on. Working from home, you don’t always have some of the cooler ‘in office’ luxuries like peg boards, giant filing cabinets, folder racks etc. So your office space can get cluttered quickly.
Introducing the Boogie Board Rip – an LCD writing and drawing tablet with a 9.5″ screen that takes everything you write down and transfers it, effortlessly, onto your computer. In three easy steps you can store unlimited amounts of files on your laptop or desktop computer in the blink of an eye. Simply write or draw, save and then transfer – it’s that easy.
Smaller than a tablet computer and weighing only 11.5oz this eWriter is ready to take with you on the go. Use it at the office, in meetings, in the car, at the mall, waiting at the doctor’s office and around the house. The uses for the Rip tablet are limitless.
- Create a shopping list while you look through your cabinets
- Quick homework help – the Rip is child friendly so your children can work out problems on their own, erase and start again.
- Take down notes during conference or personal phone calls
- Draw out design ideas for remodeling and decorating while you walk through your home.
- Sketch ideas for graphic design projects on the go to upload and work on later
- Visualize layouts for websites, print media and more.
Improv Electronics, makers of the Boogie Board line, sent me a Rip to try out for myself.
The first aspect that impressed me was how extremely easy it is to get started. The Rip comes fully charged (when was the last time an electronic gadget didn’t require 12 hours of charging?!) and ready to go. Just unlock the tablet from the slide button on the left side, press the ‘wake’ button to wake up the tablet and then start writing. Once you have a finished document — or if you just need a new page to keep going — press the save/wake button again. Once the light stops flashing your file is saved to the tablet and you can press ‘erase’ and start on a new page. Does it get any simpler?
To transfer your files – connect the included USB cord to your tablet and then to your laptop or desktop computer. Your files will be imported just like a flash drive and saved in PDF format. You can then use them in any editing software you have. This is also how you recharge your Rip.
Additional Feature: The Virtual Desktop
You can download the free Virtual Desktop program from the Boogie Board official website and see your pen strokes in real time on your monitor. You’ll be sure to never miss a single line or dot. Then save or email your file.
Awesome Feature for Designers:
Any sketch saved to your Rip tablet will transfer with a transparent background.
So you can freely edit and fill with a back layer of color.
You can use any type of point to write on the Rip tablet like a plastic stylus or even your finger (no pens, pencils or markers of course!).
Note: any tipped tool will write/draw on the tablet, but only files created with the Boogie Board official stylus pen will record when saved.
- Easily Portable – lightweight and slim
- User Friendly – Child Friendly
- Ready Out of Box
- Simple Steps
- Unlimited Uses
- I would love to see more sensitivity to pen pressure. At first some of my lines did not save because I was writing too softly. However, once I got use to the pressure required I had no issues. But, this could be confusing for some first time users.
- Purchase a longer USB cord. While the included USB cord works just as it should, it’s a little short. That won’t be a problem for anyone transferring to a laptop or tablet computer — but desktop users may feel a little restricted.
- Grab a Boogie Board Skin Flik case. While the Rip is very sturdy and the screen is ‘scratch resistant’ I still would recommend buying a neoprene case. You don’t want anything scraping or cutting into the screen while you carry it around.
WHERE TO BUY: IMPROV Electronics
Boogie Board Rip - 7in x 11.1 x 0.5 (179mm x 282 x 13), 9.5 inch LCD – $129.99
Other models available.
*I received a free product to facilitate this review and giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.
Giveaway Ends: 11:59 pm EST – March 1, 2012
Winner will be notified by email and have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected.
Open to 18+ US